Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Alan's Dr. Appointment

Hi,

Alan went to see a child psychologist yesterday. Her name was Dr. Terri Brewer. Alan had started putting up a fuss about going to the new school, so I called Dr. Doles and she made a referral so we could find out what was going on in his mind. Dr. Brewer would also look for any signs of ADD, ADHD, etc. I know he can concentrate for long periods of time, I am just wondering about impulse control.

Alan and I really liked her. She is very easy to talk to... that's very good given her profession. Alan really opened up to her, told her that he had a dog named Rocky and a brother, and Nana and Poppy, Mimi and Toot Toot. Then when I came in the room, he showed her his picture album that he carries in his backpack. She said Alan is fine, no problems, nothing seemed to have happened at the other school, etc. Not that we thought something had, but it was kinda lingering in the very back of my mind. Alan is just a very bright boy. He's very smart, he just hasn't got the maturity to go along with it. Add in the stubbornness, and you get the picture.

Dr. Brewer stated that moving him to LCA was a very good move since he would be stimulated intellectually and she had heard lots of great things about them. We discussed our discipline strategies, and we are doing what we need to do. We do need to make sure when we tell him, you do this and then x will happen, that we follow through. As for the not wanting to go to school, just tell him he doesn't have a choice and leave it at that. Don't try to debate or reason with him.

Since Alan never wants the last person he was with to leave (Nana, Mimi, Poppy, Daddy, etc), it's probably not extreme separation anxiety. Some of the problems is due to some anxiety, since that rears it's ugly head around 4 years old, but it's not so bad he needs medication, etc.

We go back at the end of October for a follow-up. Will let you know what they say....

1 comment:

GailGAlex said...

Ah, how all this sound extremely familiar.

Glad you got some reassurance. It’s hard to see our little one put up a fuss. The doc is correct.
Some things you have to be very “matter of fact” about.
“Alan, you are going to school today. I understand you may not like it but you have to go.”

I have to do this with Dakota and food.
“Dakota, I know you don’t like peas, but it is dinner and you have to eat it.”
I used to have to do it about school. We had to learn these little tricks from D’s occupational therapist.

Don’t fret about ADD just yet…the teachers, especially at a decent school, will let you know if they see signs.

Hugs~